The days are getting shorter, the air is getting brisker, and you can see pumpkin spice lattes in the hands of half the people you meet. You know what that means: Halloween is just around the corner!
Here at Runway Rogue, Halloween is one of our favorite holidays of the year. When else is it acceptable to attend a party as a sexy killer nun? Only Halloween! With that said, getting the perfect look can be expensive nowadays.
Do you really want to pay for a fancy set of costume makeup that you're only going to use once? Of course, you don't, which is why we've put together a list of helpful Halloween makeup hacks that you can use if you want to look as scintillating or spooky as possible when crunched for time or on a budget.
- Your trusty red lipstick can be your best friend during this time. Shave off a healthy piece and combine it with some dark eyeliner to get deep crimson fake blood. Add a dab of clear lip gloss to give it more volume and a frightening shimmer. Perfect for all you wannabe vampires out there.
- Use it to outline grotesque wounds. Stipple some red lipstick around a fake laceration to give it a more realistic look. It'll be disgusting, but that's the point!
- Liquid lipsticks are great for adding little accents to your face like hearts, stars or creative designs because they don’t smear like grease paint. The results can be amazing but don’t paint your full face. Liquid lipsticks come in many different shades, and you can mix them to create the exact hue you need. Not only that, but some products (hint: like ours) contain ingredients such as vitamin E and aloe that make it much more gentle on your skin than most harsh costume makeups. It's a long-lasting solution that won't be a pain to take off at the end of the night. It can be removed with oil based makeup remover.
- If you have an eyeshadow palette, you can create fake bruises that will have you looking like you just went 12 rounds with the heavyweight champ. Layer and blend a combination of red, purple, yellow and black eyeshadow layers to make a very convincing illusion.
- Does your costume require an off-the-wall lip color, but you don't want to buy a new stick of something you're unlikely to use again? Eyeshadow to the rescue! Just mix up the color of your choice and combine it with some more clear lip gloss, and you'll have lippies to die for.
Eyebrow pencil hack
- Grab a brown eyebrow pencil and pepper your complexion with fake freckles! Vary the sizes, so they look more natural and complete that Kesha costume you've been putting together in your head since 2011.
Mascara wand hack
- Stipple some tinted brow gel with a mascara wand onto your face and transform yourself into the man of your dreams for a night. Use both lighter and darker shades of brown to make it look as realistic as possible.
Now you've got seven fun hacks to try out that could have you dominating the local Halloween costume contest without breaking the bank. We recommend a test run before the big night so that you're familiar with the processes of whichever hacks you're attempting.